Friday, May 27, 2011

Getting In The Groove

I think I'm getting my writing groove back. Yesterday I managed to write 1,700 words, the closest to my actual target of 2,000 words a day I've managed yet on my current WIP.

I first set my target of 2,000 words a day when working on my first book and I managed to stick to it pretty faithfully on the days when I was writing. This time though I've had a tough time getting back into the groove. It's frustrating, knowing I can produce so much, but still falling short. I try not to let it get to me, though. I just knuckle down and write what I can manage.

As always, music has been my companion through this. I think closer to my first book's release date I'll do one of those playlist post series and share the music that has helped inspire me and keep me going. It's the music that makes me feel like the story is a real, living thing, making me feel like I need to do something, anything, to get the story out or my chest will burst.

If there's any one thing that has helped me get back into the groove, it's persistently filling my head with music and thoughts about the next book. I make myself so excited about the story that I can't wait to tell it to people. Then, instead of telling people, I write it down. It's like the ability to share the story when it's done is part of my reward for getting it written.

Does anyone else have particular tricks they use to get into their groove?

No comments:

Post a Comment