Monday, October 3, 2011

You Are My Only by Beth Kephart

You Are My Only by Beth Kephart
Date Released: October 25th 2011
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pages: 256 Pages
Date Read: 09/30/11
Format: ARC
Source: NetGalley
Summary:

Emmy Rane is married at nineteen, a mother by twenty. Trapped in a life with a husband she no longer loves, Baby is her only joy. Then one sunny day in September, Emmy takes a few fateful steps away from her baby and returns to find her missing. All that is left behind is a yellow sock.

Fourteen years later, Sophie, a homeschooled, reclusive teenage girl is forced to move frequently and abruptly from place to place, perpetually running from what her mother calls the "No Good." One afternoon, Sophie breaks the rules, ventures out, and meets Joey and his two aunts. It is this loving family that gives Sophie the courage to look into her past. What she discovers changes her world forever. . . .

The riveting stories of Emmy and Sophie—alternating narratives of loss, imprisonment, and freedom regained—escalate with breathless suspense toward an unforgettable climax.


My Review:

This is the first novel I read by Beth Kephart and, when I started Reading I was taken aback by the writing style. It was chopped and also combined poetry; to be honest I wasn’t sure I was going to finish the book, but after a while It got me going, I got into the writing style and things started to make more sense to me.

The story is really predictable from the beginning, but not once was I disappointed by this. It wasn’t much of a huge plot or a really complex story line, but it was very rich in character development and I felt like I actually took part in the character’s lives.

The Book is narrated in two points of view, by Emmie and Sophie. Emmie’s part was a bit hard to follow, one minute we were in point A then next in Point D and I missed B and C….. in the end I found my way back [I think]. Sophie’s part was my favorite, I enjoyed watching her grow and questioning things along with visiting her neighbors and a cute boy who climbs trees just to see her ;)

It was a really good book, heartbreaking in many ways, filled with emotion and beauty.  I think I would’ve liked to see the story go a bit more far, since the ending was a bit rushed and like BAM, The End. It worked though.

Thanks to Netgalley for the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment