Monday, July 11, 2011

Camera Presence

I've been playing around with my camera, particularly the video record setting. I've often wondered whether or not posting video blogs would be worth my time. But aside from trying to work out exactly what content I could provide that I don't already cover in this blog, my biggest issue is that I'm just not comfortable on camera.

I'm fine on a webcam chat, probably because I can see a person reacting to me. But when I look back at myself on a video recording, I can see all my old exaggerated expressions and intonations that I'd use when I was doing amateur drama rehearsals. And that stuff just makes me cringe when I see myself doing it. I've never liked the sound of my own voice.

While I probably won't start video blogging with any kind of regularity, I'm sure that some part of my promotion work will require me to either record myself, be interviewed, or otherwise speak publicly. I need to practice, and learn how to carry myself on camera.

So to those of you who have been on camera before, how did you get over this? Those who haven't, would be be comfortable doing it, or are there things that would put you off?

Edit: This was a pre-scheduled post. My the time Blogger posted this, my son, Conor, had been born.

No comments:

Post a Comment