Friday, February 3, 2012

Spread Love - Not Hate.


In my Senior year of high school I did a project on Bullying and I was amazed to discover that so many people were victims of it, or had been when they were younger. Also, the fact that many of them never asked for help. Some did, but they couldn't find a solution, others were ignored, and very few were actually given help and found a solution.

I was a victim of Bullying also, all through elementary school I was teased for being really overweight. I mean, no kidding, I couldn't even walk right, I was like a chubby penguin. I couldn't get enough of the teasing.... 

Then came Junior High. where I was a really depressed kid. I had no idea it was depression. I was just sad. by the time I was in my Sophomore year I had an eating disorder and cutting problems. 

It wasn't until last year that I was diagnosed with clinical depression, and I finally started getting treatment for my problems. A few months ago I realized that I could do a lot to help others and myself by opening up, since then I've been an active member of Teens Against Bullying and I also organized an Anti-Bullying campaign for my High School. 

I stopped being bullied in Junior High. Everything else was the aftermath. Many of us don't understand this, that bullying hurts more after and it leaves a mark. heavy ones. A lot of people say it builds character, I don't think so. I remember being a scared kid wondering why I was treated so badly just because I wasn't skinny. I don't think it was fair. Bullying comes in many forms. It can be physical or verbal, it can be in our family or at school. I think every kid deserves to be safe at school and in their home. 

There are also many people right now hurting from all those scars, they deserve happiness too.

What I've done to help these people, is to be less judgmental. It took me a lot to stop being this way, and I work hard to let people be and try to understand everyone's situation. I learned to know I am worthy of being respected. I no longer let people insult me or treat me wrong, I know how to defend myself and that I don't deserve to be treated badly. I help others. If I see someone being molested, I don't doubt in helping. I used to, but now I think about how much I wanted someone to stand up for me. 

Teachers, parents, friends, strangers, many of them have the power of helping us and they don't. I won't be that kind of people. I can't change the whole world, but by changing myself and helping in my own way, I know I'm making a difference. This is why this event is so important. we are inviting You to make a difference.


Spread Love. Not Hate.



Support:

No comments:

Post a Comment